Superfoods: Superhero Among Foods
What makes superman super? Is it his alien race or maybe his powers? No. It is his ability to assimilate with normal folks while having superhuman abilities. Who would believe that a simple journalist like Clark Kent can actually fly, is faster than a speeding bullet, and stronger than a locomotive?
The exact same thing goes for superfoods. They look simple—some would even say unappetizing—but they provide numerous benefits that will keep your body healthy and energized.
Truth Behind Superfoods
Superfood is a general term applied to foods, often organic and natural, which are known or proven to have extraordinary health benefits.
These benefits usually come in the form of low calorie count and high phytochemical content. Phytochemicals are chemicals or nutrients that have disease-fighting properties.
Aside from fighting and preventing diseases like the different types of cancer and rheumatism, they can also help reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and improve your eyesight and gastric system’s function. Truth be told, the list of benefits that superfoods can give you is so long that we can sit all day here discussing them and still not finish it. That is another reason why these foods are “super”!
While some superfoods have established themselves superior due to the innumerable vitamins and nutrients they contain, such as the highly popular blueberries and broccoli, all foods labeled “superfood” can help improve your health. That includes chocolates and coffee, which, believe it or not, are labeled as such. Of course, you have to observe moderation with these specific foods. Otherwise, the nutrients you will get will be overshadowed by the fats and calories that come with them.
Although some may still cast doubts, no one can deny that superfoods gained acclaim because they are real. Even better, they serve and benefit everybody; no matter which diet plan you are following, if you are vegan or carnivorous, so to say, or if you are simply too picky, there will still be plenty of superfoods for you to choose from. They are also generally affordable, so there is no reason for you to say “Maybe I’ll try them next time.”
Types of Superfoods
Today, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of superfoods. However, most of them, if not all, can be neatly organized into 6 categories. They are as follow:
- Vegetables, Greens, Herbs, and Spices- from the healthy broccoli to Popeye’s spinach to your trusty black pepper, this is where they all go. Spices might seem a little out of place in this category, but you got to agree, herbs and spices go well together.
- Grains, Legumes, Nuts, and Seeds- in this category, you can find a nice assortment of superfoods. There are walnuts, lentils, almonds, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, and green beans among others.
- Fruits- there are now more reasons for you to junk ice cream and cakes and instead eat fruits for dessert. You can choose from grapefruit, kiwi, watermelon, avocado, blackberry, pineapple, and numerous others. Apples are superfoods too, so heed the saying that goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
- Seafoods- you might have heard of chlorella and spirunella being superfoods, but they are not the only things “super” under the sea. Fishes like salmons and sardines, oysters, and seaweeds are also superfoods you should try.
- Natural By-products- it was tempting to put “Bee Products” in this category since majority of natural by-products come from bees, like bee pollen and honey. Nonetheless, there are a few others worth mentioning like green tea, oils, and vinegars. Yes, vinegars.
- Processed- some people find processed foods repulsing since they undergo, well, processes that expose them to machines, chemicals, and other threats. However, some processed foods can actually be healthy, just like the chocolate and coffee mentioned earlier.
So, do you want to be healthy, invigorated, and feel beautiful from the inside out? Then start loving superfoods and make them your go-to foods today; you will not regret it.
Want to learn more about Superfoods – Read the Superfoods Power Series