Paleo and SCD Friendly Creamy Fraisier Cake
Today you’ll be treated to a truly delicious dessert or snack minus all the processed sugar. We became interested in this so our kids could enjoy a sweet snack. They’ve been struggling a bit since our family has switched to the Paleo diet.
I’ve been managing my Crohn’s disease for about six years. But I mainly follow the SCD diet in combination with Paleo. If you have kids and know about Paleo foods, then you know how challenging a diet like the Paleo can be. Thanks to the vast resources on the net, it’s easy to find excellent, tasty, and kid-enticing recipes. And by the way…
Check out these Peace Truffles or this Two Ingredient Chocolate Mousse… looks hard for anyone to resist.
My wife is creative and loves cooking so much she has to come up with her own new recipes all the time. She made this Fraisier cake a few days ago.
It was really delicious.
We wanted to take several pictures before savoring it but the kids just couldn’t wait. You know how kids are! I couldn’t wait either, to be honest :)
Here’s the recipe…it serves 5 (or 1, like me!).
Fraisier Cake Ingredients:
For the Genoese sponge:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 & 1/2 cup almond flour
For the creme patissiere:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 & 1/3 oz soft butter (1 & 1/3 stick)
For the syrup and decoration:
- 18 oz strawberries
I. To make the sponge:
1. Grease and line the base of a 9-inch springform pan.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F
3. Separate egg whites and egg yolks
4. Whisk the yolks and honey in a bowl until the volume doubles (about 8 minutes with an electric whisk)
5. Fold almond flour into the mixture and stir well
6. Whip egg whites and gently fold them into the mixture
7. Pour mixture into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
TIP: Carefully stab the cake with a knife and pull it out, if it is cooked then the knife will be clean
8. Let it cool while you make the creme patissiere…
II. To make the creme patissiere:
1. Simmer the honey over low heat
TIP: No, honey doesn’t become toxic when heated.
2. Whip egg whites while the honey is heating.
3. Carefully pour the heated honey into the whipped egg whites, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and turns opaque.
4. Add the soft butter to the mixture and continue to whisk until butter is well mixed.
III. To make the syrup:
1. Keep the 5 nicest strawberries for the decoration and cut all the other ones into very small dices
2. Pour half of your creme patissiere into a bowl and add the strawberry dices while stirring well.
NOTE: The other half of the creme patissiere will be used for covering the cake.
IV. To prepare or assemble the cake:
1. Slice the Genoese sponge in half, horizontally, to make two even discs
2. Put one sponge disc, cut-side up, on a plate and brush liberally with the syrup
3. Cover with the other sponge disc, cut-side up
4. Brush the whole cake with the 2nd half of the creme patissiere.
5. Add your 5 strawberries on top as a decoration.
Enjoy with your family!
PS – Feel free to let me know if you try this. It’s delicious and your kids will love it, as will you!